Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tug at Our Hearts



Tug at Our Hearts!

-by VeeraMahal


Ok! I have pictures of these two cuties on my blog and they deserve some intro. The yellow one is our three year old lab, Maggie who grew so big before we blinked! Even though we got her at 8weeks of age, we kind of feel- we missed her puppyhood! She might run the house, if we let her- she’s too smart.

The little guy “Cookie & Cream” on the other hand, is a genius! I say it in present tense; how can I not? He stole my heart, within the two short weeks he was staying with us. My son “J” sneaked him in to our backyard and conspiring with my daughter to raise him. Before long, I was let into the secret. He had found the stray puppy trying to cross the road, right in front of his car. So, he had picked him up and since he could not find anybody that might be looking for the puppy, he brought him home.

Before long the adopted pup was trying to breastfeed on Maggie, and I guess that spurred her motherly instinct; she picked him up and helped him down the stairs. It was an amazing sight-too late to reach for the camera. Despite his predicament, the puppy was so energetic and full of life and I loved him already. With his deep blue eyes, he tugged at my heart.

The kids were excited and wanted to keep him. I had no doubt that he is for keeps. But, I knew better. Despite their promises the kids will soon leave the responsibility to us, the parents. With all the rat-race of daily routines, we would not be able to give him the attention or the space he needs. So, as much as we loved him, it was decided and arranged that “cookie & cream” would be taken to the animal shelter.


Two full weeks past, before that transition happened. He went with a big sac of puppy chow, his sleeping basket & blanket. We just watched with heavy hearts, until the caravan was out of sight. This is the busy world we had created for ourselves, I thought.

Strangely, the house seemed quiet and empty. Maggie kept sniffing and licking her toy she shared with the puppy. Then, all of a sudden she went and put her head close to the vent as she lay down. Maggie never liked the vents! It was the genius “cookie & cream” who liked to lay his head right on to the vent, letting the cool A/C , blow straight on his face. I could tell that Maggie missed him. He was such a handful, always enticing her and us to play with him. Even now, as I write this-I feel him tugging at my heart!

I am sure he is making some blessed household feel loved and lively! I can never forget that little puppy with deep blue eyes. He will forever remain a puppy to us; young and lively, tugging at our hearts!


---------------------------------------------------------


No comments: