Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring Buzz Around My Garden

Life Springs in My Garden


--by VeeraMahal FRANKLINMarch has marched on with snow storms rivaling white Christmas scenes. Once, within a matter of an hour our backyard was transformed into a scenic painting on a Christmas postcard. We do welcome the occasional snow in the south, knowing very well it is not here to stay more than a day or two. Like a beautiful dream it would all vanish once the morning sun is out shining bright.




Kids enjoyed throwing snow balls while Maggie our lab was trying to intercept and devour them. Of course Maggie's ancestors hail from the ice cold lands of Canada. No wonder she loves the snow and wants to plant her foot prints in the snow before anyone of us does. You can see how she is enjoying it, running up and down the yard!




As soon as the snow was gone the weeds were trying to take over- but my little garden-angel made them look magical. If you look closely, they do have cute flowers and the only problem is that they grow where we do not want them to. Some times I wonder whether to give them a space because some small white butterflies seem to love these plants that we call weeds!







Spring is on…. Spring is on!
Life seems to spring around our garden. The plum we planted six years ago and the peach I added only last year showed buds, within days after the snowstorm. The resilience of the flora is amazing. Not that the fauna is lagging behind. Just as I was crouched down to snap the peach blossoms, I heard a thud and was amazed to see a royal visitor. Perched regally on my favorite old tree this majestic bird of prey captivated me. But, the blogger in me alerted me to take advantage of this unexpected opportunity and I managed to shoot a picture of this historic moment.



I believe it is a hawk!
If you look carefully, you can see the twig she or he broke off my tree. This was the first time I ever saw one in our yard. Now I see the pair swooping down so majestically, only to pick up twigs and what not, to build their nest in the pine tree next door. While I am admiring this majestic pair, I have mixed feelings and fear for the freedom of the song birds visiting my feeder.




No comments: